Your SW Calgary Choice for Orthodontics!
What are Orthodontics?
Simply put, the practice of orthodontics is to treat problems associated with the way teeth bite together and to correct irregularities in the teeth (especially of alignment and occlusion) and jaws. This specialized branch of dentistry involves the use of devices such as braces, to straighten teeth, close gaps between teeth, and correct problems with bite. Ultima Dental Wellness is pleased to offer our patients the option of orthodontic treatment!
Why do we need straighter teeth?
- Properly positioned teeth are easier to brush and floss than teeth that are crowded, crooked, or spaced improperly. And the benefit of properly cleaned teeth is healthier gums.
- By being able to professionally clean your teeth, you can maintain good oral hygiene. Thus, the chances of having plaque retention, tooth decay, and periodontal (gum) disease can be reduced.
- Correction of your bite can help improve chewing and speech.
- Properly aligned teeth put less stress on the supporting bone and jaw joints.
- Having straight teeth can make you feel less self-conscious and more confident with your smile!
At Ultima Dental Wellness, we know that misaligned teeth can often lead to more problems than just embarrassing smiles – it can lead to receding gums, difficulty in maintaining basic dental care, and increased risk of cavities (among a variety of other potential troubles). Thus, in cases of misaligned teeth, or “malocclusion,” straightening your teeth using orthodontic braces might be the right thing to do, no matter what age you are. With ever-increasing dental awareness, patients now have a plethora of options available when it comes to dental braces. Straightening your teeth and enhancing your self-confidence has never been easier!
What type of Braces do you Need?
The type of braces you need depends on a number of factors:
- The extent of your treatment, such as:
- The severity of your bite or tooth crookedness problems
- If extractions are necessary
- If jaw surgery is necessary
- If headgear or other special appliances are necessary
- The amount of time you will need to wear braces
- The preferences of your dentist or orthodontist
- How much you are willing to pay
- How long you will be in braces to correct your problems
- What you ultimately desire!
With so many choices available these days…ceramic braces, Invisalign, traditional metal, golden metal, self-ligating brackets, lingual braces, Myobrace, Insignia, etc., it can get confusing! Luckily, orthodontics today is much different than it used to be. Metal bands have been replaced with brackets that are bonded with an adhesive right to the front of the teeth. They are much more comfortable, smaller in size, and much less noticeable than braces of the past.